Sunday 27 April 2014

The Summer of the Real Man

I can't believe that it is almost the end of April!!!  The snow is almost all gone, the kids have gotten to play outside and there is less than 2 months of school left!

This summer my friend Grace and I are taking a "bucket list" trip!  We are heading to London, the birth place of my grandma!  What started out as a Girl Guide trip grew into a trip with a friend that I am so thankful to Grace for agreeing to go with me! A big thank you to Sylvia and Annie who are taking the little ones for the 13 days we are gone, couldn't have done it without you!  Grace and I have had many adventures together through the years but I think this will be the biggest so far!  The countdown has been on since October when we booked our airfare!  We decided to throw in a side trip to Scotland.  We have booked our The Making of Harry Potter (which has precipitated the power re-reading of the books and first time watching the movies!  Damn ADHD makes it hard to sit still for a 3 hour movie!), Paris day trip, Bath/Stonehenge/Windsor Castle Tour, London Pass with Transit and the major accomplishment "Coronation Street Set Tour".  Only 75 more days to go!

Recently our 20 year old daughter had her wisdom teeth pulled.  It made for a long few days of eating jello and slurpees! While it was a few hard, long days it was an indicator of what was coming for our 6 year old who is terrified of the tooth fairy, dentist and anything that is related and who by chance is having dental surgery in 10 days!  We've come to the conclusion that we can't tell her about it until we are on the way there in hopes that I will be able to get her there!  I think that the copious amounts of slurpee may be the only saving grace to the entire experience!

Our 6 year old is a character as many of you know!  She is well known for her lack of "filter" if it pops into her head, it's out of her mouth before she can stop it!  She has the voice of a 70 year old smoker and everything she says is at 180 decibels!  A couple summers ago we were driving down the road and we came to a red light.  As we were stopped there a guy on a motorcycle pulled up beside us when out of the back of the van she pipes up with a sense of wonder, "Mom that's a REAL man, right?" I just about peed my pants!  I asked her what she meant and she explained that, "only REAL men drive motorcycles".  Well off we went when the light turned green thinking that would be the end of that.  Little did I know that every time she saw a motorcycle or scooter she would say, "Look mom a real man!".  It was all fun and games until one day she saw a woman driving a bright pink scooter and said, "That's not a man!  How come she gets to drive that?".  We explained that not only men could drive motorcycles but she didn't believe us!  All summer long, every where we went she would pop out that phrase until everyone in the family was saying it too!  Fast forward to a few weeks ago when we are on our way home from swimming lessons and out of her mouth pops, "Look mom, summers coming, there's a real man!"  This kid is going to be the death of me!  Never a dull moment when she's around!

The "REAL" Man

Hope you enjoyed this little story!  I'm hoping that things will settle down soon so that I can blog more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment